Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reading Reflection

The first few chapters of Design: A Very Short Introduction opened my eyes to a lot of the historical aspects of the profession of design which I had never truly considered. The broadness with which the term "design" can actually be implied lends itself to a wealth of history, and including ancient tools, artisans, and craftsman in the category is only logical. I was perhaps most interested by the discussion of the globalization of design and the struggles which emerge as a result of cultural discrepancies concerning form versus need or desire in a certain area of the world. It led me to think more about the possibility of world-wide standardization of design, and if it is even possible, which products it could apply to. Food for thought. also, The example about the Japanese toothpick seems to be coming up in a lot of design books/films I've seen. Anyways, The first three chapters of the book were packed with a concise design history, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment